TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (November 6, 2018) – The Florida College System Activities Association (FCSAA) has released its NJCAA Region 8 Men’s and Women’s Basketball Player of the Week selections for all games played through November 4.
The first regular season coaches’ polls and the next player of the week awards will be released November 13.
Follow FCSAA Athletics online throughout the season at www.theFCSAAsports.com, as well as on Facebook and Twitter.
NJCAA Region 8 Men’s Basketball Player of the Week
D.J. Russell, Miami Dade
Sophomore – Forward
- Averaged 23.5 points, 12.5 rebounds, 1.5 assists, 1.5 steals and 0.5 blocks in two games during the voting period
- Shot 52.8 percent (19-of-36) from the field and 70.0 percent (7-of-10) from the free throw line; also hit two of his eight three-point attempts
- Had 21 points and eight rebounds in the season opener against Chipola; followed that with a double-double – 26 points and 17 rebounds – against NJCAA No. 22 Georgia Highlands in a 106-102 victory
Other nominees: Khadim Sy, Daytona State; Tekorian Smith, Polk State; Eric Boone, Tallahassee; Jonathan Ned, Eastern Florida State
NJCAA Region 8 Women’s Basketball Player of the Week
Pernilla Sorenson, Broward
Sophomore – Guard/Forward
- Averaged 20.0 points, 11.0 rebounds, 1,0 assist, 1.0 steal and 0.5 blocks in two games during the voting period
- Shot 50.0 percent (12-of-24) from the floor, 58.8 percent (10-of-17) from the three-point line and hit all six of her free throw attempts
- Hit eight three-pointers and recorded a double-double (24 points, 12 rebounds) in a 75-73 win at NJCAA No. 12 Florida SouthWestern in the season opener
- Had a second straight double-header the next day vs. IMG, 16 points and 10 rebounds
Other nominees: Michelle Pruitt, Miami Dade; Tynasia Bunting, Eastern Florida State; De’Asia Reid, Tallahassee; Mariah Preston, Florida State College at Jacksonville; Shondell Vickers, Florida SouthWestern; Shay Collins, Hillsborough; Brittany Davis, Gulf Coast State