TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (January 4, 2017) – The Florida College System Activities Association (FCSAA) has released its NJCAA Region 8 Men’s and Women’s Basketball Player of the Week selections for games played December 19-January 1.
The next coaches’ poll and player of the week selections will be released January 10.
Follow Region 8 Athletics online throughout the season at www.theFCSAAsports.com, as well as on Facebook and Twitter.
NJCAA Region 8 Men’s Basketball Player of the Week
Kareem Brewton, Eastern Florida State
Sophomore – Guard
- Averaged 20.0 points, 4.0 rebounds, 5.0 assists, 3.5 steals and 0.5 blocks in two games during the voting period
- Shot 48.3 percent (14-of-29) from the field and 75.0 percent (12-of-16) from the free throw line
- Helped Eastern Florida State to wins over Atlanta Metro and nationally-ranked Shelton State
- After scoring 12 points in the Titans’ 36-point win over Atlanta Metro, he poured in 28, along with seven rebounds, five assists and four steals in the 84-70 win over No. 21 Shelton State
Other nominees: Frankie Lewis, Central Florida; Dinero Mercurius, Daytona State
NJCAA Region 8 Women’s Basketball Player of the Week
Jonika Garvin, Palm Beach State
Sophomore – Guard
Lake Worth, Fla.
- In her only game during the voting period, she recorded a triple-double in Palm Beach State’s 73-55 win over Bryant & Stratton – 21 points, 15 rebounds and 10 assists. Also had five steals and one block.
- She scored her 21 points on 7-of-16 shooting from the floor and 6-of-9 from the foul line
Other nominees: Ka’Neeshia Brown, Daytona State; Destiny Arvinger, Daytona State; Mylashia Yancey, Pensacola State; Cheah Rael-Whitsitt, Miami Dade; Lawriell Wilson, Tallahassee; Jas Hill, Tallahassee.